Pioneer Valley Habitat for Humanity (PVHH) builds homes, hope, and community in Franklin and Hampshire Counties. PVHH is a housing ministry dedicated to strengthening communities by empowering low-income families to change their lives and the lives of future generations through homeownership opportunities. This is accomplished by working in partnership with diverse people, from all walks of life, to build simple, decent, affordable housing.
PVHH is working on an energy efficient duplex in Amherst in 2016 as well as a rehab of a single family home in Greenfield, MA. PVHH tries to incorporate many sustainable practices into our construction process and builds all new homes to ENERGY STAR standards.
The Green Building Intern for Spring 2016 would be assisting PVHH in building organizational capacity by providing support to our volunteer build team leaders. The intern would be tasked with creating tasks in three main areas:
· Document Construction Process – Through photographs, video, writing and other techniques document the techniques being used at our build site with an emphasis on green building techniques. Assist the build team in maintaining a list of all plan changes and incorporating sustainable practices. The goal of this documentation is both short and long term – to assist the volunteers sharing information from one week to the next and to assist the planning of future projects. Take notes at build team meetings and create action lists each week.
· Volunteer & Family Education – Create educational materials for new volunteers and partner families to get up to speed quickly on the build tasks at hand. Multi-media educational materials encouraged. This may involve curating links to additional online educational materials, creating on site signage about green building details, etc.
· Participatory Learning – Act as a mentor to other volunteers and assist in the successful implementation of our construction projects through on site work.
· Inventory – The intern will visit all job sites and storage trailers to update our inventory lists as needed.
· Interest in green building and energy efficient homes, experience or class work within this area preferred
· Excellent writing skills – able to convey complex technical information in a simple accessible manner
· Photography and Video – able to photograph or video construction, then edit into usable documents or short videos
· High proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel Skills – able to use styles and indexes in Word, able to sort and use formulas in Excel
· Able to effectively communicate with, listen to and learn from others
· Able to work with individuals of different ages, backgrounds and life experiences
· A car to be able to access job sites and meet with volunteers at locations other than the office
This position is for 15-20 hours per week for 10 consecutive weeks. Schedule will include weekend and weekday work. Pay is $14/hour for this temporary, part-time, at-will position. Approval by the MassCEC internship program is required.
To apply you must do two things:
1. Apply to the MassCEC internship program and get listed in their database: http://www.masscec.com/programs/massachusetts-clean-energy-internship-program
2. Send a resume and cover letter to info @ pvhabitat. org expressing your interest in our particular internship
Pioneer Valley Habitat for Humanity is a non-profit, ecumenical housing ministry whose goal is to make home ownership possible for low-income families in Hampshire and Franklin counties. Through the donation of money, land, expertise, and labor, we commit ourselves to build safe, decent, affordable homes in partnership with families in need.
And of course, we always need volunteers! Check out our Volunteers Needed page for more information.