Green Building Internship Summer 2015
This is a 10 week paid internship ($14/hour) funded by the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center. You must first apply to MassCEC for funding at http://www.masscec.com/programs/massachusetts-clean-energy-internship-pr... and then contact PVHH to express interest in this position.
Pioneer Valley Habitat for Humanity (PVHH) builds homes, hope, and community in Franklin and Hampshire Counties. PVHH is a housing ministry dedicated to strengthening communities by empowering low-income families to change their lives and the lives of future generations through homeownership opportunities. This is accomplished by working in partnership with diverse people, from all walks of life, to build simple, decent, affordable housing.
PVHH is working on an exciting project in 2015 that includes two firsts:
· Our first Zero Net Energy Potential homes – a super insulated zero lot line duplex will use advanced heat pump technologies and solar energy to provide an opportunity for zero net energy living for a low-income family
· Our first Women Build project – 70% or more of the labor and leadership will be completed by women
Because we are breaking new ground we need to create good policy and procedure documents to help support our volunteers in doing this innovative work. Historically, many of our construction volunteers have been men and we need to be able to convey the knowledge of PVHH’s processes to new women volunteers. We are also integrating new technologies into our building process and want to make sure our site supervisors have the support they need to implement these technologies effectively.
The Green Building Intern for summer 2015 would be assisting PVHH in building organizational capacity by documenting and researching this innovative work. The intern would be tasked with creating tasks in three main areas:
· Document Construction Process – Through photographs, video, writing and other techniques document the techniques being used at our build site. Assist the build team in maintaining a list of all plan changes. The goals of this documentation is both short and long term – to assist the volunteers sharing information from one week to the next and to assist the planning of future projects. Take notes at build team meetings and create action lists each week.
· Volunteer Education – Create educational materials for new volunteers to get up to speed quickly on the build tasks at hand. Multi-media educational materials encouraged. This may involve curating links to additional online educational materials, creating on site signage about green building details, etc.
· Inventory – The intern will visit all job sites and storage trailers to update our inventory lists as needed.
· Interest in green building and zero net energy potential homes, experience or class work within this area preferred
· Excellent writing skills – able to convey complex technical information in a simple accessible manner
· Photography and Video – able to photograph or video construction, then edit into usable documents or short videos
· High proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel Skills – able to use styles and indexes in Word, able to sort and use formulas in Excel
· Able to effectively communicate with, listen to and learn from others
· Able to work with individuals of different ages, backgrounds and life experiences
· A car to be able to access job sites and meet with volunteers at locations other than the office
This is a paid internship ($14/hour) funded by the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center. You must first apply to MassCEC for funding at http://www.masscec.com/programs/massachusetts-clean-energy-internship-pr... and then contact PVHH to express interest in this position.
Pioneer Valley Habitat for Humanity is a non-profit, ecumenical housing ministry whose goal is to make home ownership possible for low-income families in Hampshire and Franklin counties. Through the donation of money, land, expertise, and labor, we commit ourselves to build safe, decent, affordable homes in partnership with families in need.
And of course, we always need volunteers! Check out our Volunteers Needed page for more information.